The latest In Touch With iOS with Dave and Warren and guest Chuck Joiner. The Apple Event was this week we talk about the new AirTag, iPad Pros, and Apple TV 4K and will we be buying new stuff. iOS 14.6 Beta 1 is out, new Apple Card Family and Podcasts App. Also is the Apple trade in worth it and AppleCare+ for Apple TV plus more.
The show notes are at InTouchwithiOS.com
Beta this week. iOS 14.5 Beta RC was released this week which is a near final version. As well at the same time iOS 14.6 Beta is released to start testing. Apple wastes no time with the next update. Apple releases first betas of iOS 14.6, watchOS 7.5, and more to developers
Apple Event Coverage
Spring Loaded Apple Event was really loaded with new product releases. We review the event, the products, and what we are going to buy.
Briefly: Apple Card now adds Apple Card Family and you can now have your spouse on the same account as well as you can add family sharing members like kids on to use the card with limits. The Credit limits will be combined and the lowest APR will be added to the combined account.
iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Mini have Purple as a color choice. Not the 12 Pro pr 12 Pro Max.
- The AirTag is rated IP67 for water and dust resistance.
- 31 different emoji can be engraved on the AirTag, but not all at once. Sorry.
- You can spend $449 on a luggage tag for your $29 AirTag thanks to Hermès, who are kind enough to throw the AirTag in at that price.
- The maximum storage capacity of the iPad Pro has been increased to 2TB and the storage is up to 2x faster.
- Graphics performance is 40% faster than the A12Z iPad Pro and 1500 times faster than the original iPad.
- The M1 in the iPad Pros is 75 times faster than the original iPad and 50% faster than the A12Z iPad Pro’s CPU.
- 5G mobile connectivity is available worldwide, with millimeter wave limited to the US.
- The iPad Pros support WiFi 6.
- Storage options range from 128GB to 2TB
- Memory options 8GB RAM with the 128, 256, and 512GB storage. 16GB RAM with 1TB and 2TB
- The 11″ iPad Pro weighs 1.03 pounds (466 grams) unless you get the cellular model, which adds .01 pound (4 grams), while the 12.9″ model weighs in at 1.5 pounds (682 grams) and a smidge more for the cellular model.
- Apple revealed that the 1TB and 2TB models feature a whopping 16GB of memory, while the lower capacity models have 8GB.
- The Liquid Retina XDR display on the 12.9″ iPad Pro has 10,000 Mini-LEDs, 2596 local dimming zones, a 1,000,000 to 1 contrast ratio, 1000 nits of full screen brightness, and 1600 nits of peak brightness.
- The 11″ model is 2388 x 1668 pixels with a 600 nit brightness.
- Both screens have 1.8% reflectivity.
- The new TrueDepth camera has a 12MP sensor, with a 122-degree field of view and 𝑓/2.4 aperture.
- The TrueDepth camera captures video at 1080p and 25, 30, or 60 fps.
- The device streams 4K video just as the name suggests.
- New Siri Remote! At 5.8 x 1.4 inches, the Siri Remote is a little larger than the one it replaces and weighs 63 grams.
- The Apple TV 4K now supports Bluetooth 5 an upgrade to the older model’s Bluetooth 4.
- WiFi 6 is supported.
- The new Apple TV 4K uses the A12 Bionic chip.
- They are still selling the Apple TV HD with the new Siri Remote for $149
The new 2nd season of Ted Lasso will be released on July 23rd.
Your Host Dave Ginsburg is an IT Professional With over 22 years experience working with Mac and Windows as well as iOS devices. He is also President of The Suburban Chicago Apple Users Group
About our Guest
Chuck Joiner is the host of MacVoices and hosts video podcasts with influential members of the Apple community. Make sure to visit macvoices.com and subscribe to his podcast. You can follow him on Twitter @chuckjoiner and join his MacVoices Facebook group.
About our Co-Host
Co-Host Warren Sklar @Wsklar is an IT Consultant and moderator of the Mac To The Future FaceBook Group with over 3000 members talking about all things Apple. Request to join this group to be among people who love Apple